United Way & UNM
In Denver, Colorado, 125 years ago, a priest, two ministers, a rabbi and a woman came together to improve community conditions. Their collective efforts brought about the United Way, which is now the largest nonprofit organization worldwide. This group of individuals saw the need to do something collectively in order to improve the social conditions in their community, and more than 125 years later, this still holds true.
United Way of Central New Mexico is a local, nonprofit charity governed by local people (with a Board of Directors) and serving the people of Bernalillo, Sandoval, Torrance and Valencia Counties. We bring people and resources together to measurably improve lives and strengthen our communities. We accomplish this by forging unlikely partnerships, by finding new solutions to old problems, by mobilizing the best resources and inspiring individuals to join the fight against a common foe.
We endeavor to be a place where problems are solved through community involvement and by measuring results. United Way of Central New Mexico exists to change lives for the better. All of our lives are enriched as we connect with each other to help those in need.
By donating to United Way you help support programs and services such as:
- United Way Community Fund – a competitive grant process that funds health and human service programs in central New Mexico.
- 2-1-1 – An information and referral line answered 365 days a year providing assistance to families in New Mexico
- Center for Non Profit Excellence – building capacity for the nonprofits in our community through training and networking opportunities
- TaxHelp New Mexico – Volunteer Income Tax preparation for individuals and families across New Mexico
- Young Leaders High School Initiative Fund – supporting high school youth through grants to programs that focus on teenagers
- Women’s Self Sufficiency Fund – supporting women through grants to programs focusing on empowering women
- Hispano Philanthropic Middle School Initiative Fund – supporting middle school children through grants to programs that focus on middle school services
- Mission: Graduate – a cradle to career look at improving educational outcomes with the goal of increasing degrees and certificates earned in central New Mexico by 60,000 by the year 2020
- Family Advocacy Center – a full service center for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
Donating is easy and there are many options available. You can choose to donate to any of the United Way programs or you can designate to something you’re passionate about, too.
As United Way of Central New Mexico's strategic and impact work increases, we are asking our community to support our mission and programs. In order to provide critical community support, 10% of all donors' tax deductible gifts will be allocated to the work of UWCNM. There will also be a $30.00 minimum total gift donation to a designated agency. There is no minimum gift to the United Way's work. If you choose to make your gift via credit/debit card, there will be an additional 3% fee.
The University of New Mexico has been a proud supporter of the United Way for over 20 years. Our participation in the United Way Campaign goes far beyond supporting the annual campaign. Many faculty, staff and students volunteer with UWCNM, participate in events and help year round through service and volunteering.The United Way is an excellent means for building a better community and for helping others. To be most effective we need everyone’s participation. Please consider how you might be able to help. Please consider donating through the United Way campaign this year. If you would like more information about other ways to get involved through volunteerism and service, feel free to visit their website or contact them directly.